Monday, March 8, 2010

Vivian Girl

I think it must have been my goal to wear all my new stuff in as short a time frame as possible, because all of these last several outfits were worn right after my trip to Oregon and all have at least one gift or thrifted item that I brought back. And there's plenty more to come, too. Today's items are this apparently unworn off-white and green cardigan that I thrifted, and the teal patterned top, which was given to me by my aunt. I just love how the teal belt pulled them together and rested so perfectly on the division between the blocks of color in the sweater.

At the end of the workday I went to get my hair cut (you'll see the new cut tomorrow), and my hairdresser told me that my shoes reminded her of something The Vivian Girls would wear. I'd never heard of the Vivian Girls (apparently there's a band of that name too, but I'm referring to the original characters) or the artist who created them, Henry Darger. His story is truly fascinating, so I decided to rent the documentary about him, which was equally amazing.

I'd like to tell you that I'm going to put together a full outfit inspired by the Vivian Girls, but they're far too little-girlish for me to do much with. However, from now on I'll always think of these as my Vivian Girl shoes. I've included a few of Darger's interesting and somewhat creepy illustrations below, and I'd highly recommend watching the documentary on this extraordinary man.


Top: Max Studio
Cardigan: thrifted
Belt: Lazaro
Skirts: Noa Noa
Shoes: John Fluevog






No comments:

Post a Comment